When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Monday, May 29, 2006

Time for change.....

Those closest to me know that the past few months have held enormous challenges for me personally, in my 'vanilla' life. The demon headmistress *winks at Master* being just one of them.

I do a lot of voluntary work, all of which means a great deal to me. Since I first became involved as chair of a playgroup, I've loved community work. Making a difference. I suppose that could be seen as selfish - me needing to be needed, and to feel good about how much I do for others. But that has never been a conscious decision. It was just me doing what needed to be done, because no-one else did.

I was asked to be a trustee of an animal sanctuary last month. I'm an animal lover through and through, and could see the charity's need for someone to do the fund sourcing etc. However, I also knew that if I took on the role, I wouldn't be able to give it 100%. And they deserved that much, so I declined their kind offer.

This month I've resigned from two roles that mean a hell of a lot to me. But I'd sat down and reviewed my list of commitments - a long list. I often get to a point where I have to review my 'causes' and prioritise....normally every 3 years (it's a cycle with me !!). But this time it had added meaning.

My commitments were taking time away from what I really need to focus on. My daughters...our future life together....and me, as a seperate entity. My submission is something I need, it's one of the things that make me 'me'. And it's given me a lot of strength over time. So I'm not prepared to give up on that side on me.

I'm (hopefully) starting a new career by the end of the year, so need to undertake training in it. This career is something that will give me and the girls stability, and therefore is also of paramount importance. Which left me with my community roles - I've cut back. I need the time to plan my future, and to be myself. I couldn't in all honesty give any of the roles 100% for the foreseeable future and that's not a situation that I'm happy with anyway. So for now it's me...the girls...and cookery courses !!

Master loves His girls to be strong, intelligent women. For a few wild minutes I wondered if my lack of involvement in the community roles might seem to Him to be an easy way out. But He knows how much they meant to me, and that I wouldn't have given them up easily.

I think He will be pleased and proud that I've taken stock of my life and concentrating my time where I need to. The fact that I'm no longer school governor, or chair, or international representative does not make me weaker. It means that I'm prioritising, and my strengths will be re-focused. And I like to think that He will be proud of me for not spreading myself so thinly. He will remain a definte priority for me *grins.....that was never in question !!

So here's to a more focused immediate future for His girl....and here's to me learning to pull a perfect pint !!

xxxxxxxxxx

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hugs clare.. don't know what made me check in here before I went to bed... were you sending out the 'vibes' again as you were writing babes??!!

We all have to take stock from time to time......you know I had to do the same only a month or two ago, and I'm sure Master will respond in the same way to your decisions as he did to mine. It certainly is difficult to let go of things we enjoy, or are important to us, but inevitably there is only so much of us to go around, and he understood that commpletely.

I have seen for myself how important your beautiful girls are to you.. and how important the dream job is too. Just make sure when it happens that the cellars are well stocked with real ales... smiles.

love and hugs

xxxx

clare said...

*smiles..

I'll certainly keep the cellar well stocked. We know someone who is rather keen on real ale !!

I'll make sure that brownies and muffins are on the menu too - they seem to be verrry popular !!

xxxxxxxx

lessa{D} said...

goodmorning hugssssssss

well clare.. seems to me you have been doing a lot of thinking... and though I haven't met your lovely ladies real live.. I did have the pleasure of talking to them on the phone and hearing your and elle's stories... so I know how precious they are... I think this is a wise decision.. you only have 24 hours in a day... some of those will be spend on sleep... as that is necessary as well...

ehmmm besides that real ale.. I think it is also good to stock a large choice of whiskey for elle and DragonM... me.. well I'll just join you for a baileys... grinnnnnnn... and hey.. in september we can check the french wines ;-)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Decisions are sometimes difficult. Just remember that every decision you make is the best for you right now. If it wasn't the best, you would decide different. So believe in your decisions... there is no reason to doubt them.

DragonM

clare said...

smiles..thank You DragonM Sir.

None of the decisons were taken lightly, You know how I value my voluntary roles. But for now, for me and the girls.....its the right choice.

I have no doubt

xxx

lessa{D} said...

*morning hugssssssssssssss*

sweetheart.. I hope you are feeling better today... cause going to work even if you are still feeling sick.. not everybody would do that... and I heard your voice yesterday... you are still under the weather... so do take care.. dress warm enough...

kusssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

lessa{D} said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lessa{D} said...

goodmorning hugssssssssss... one day to go and then weekend... mmmmmmm

kussssssssssssssssssssssssss

clare said...

hugggsssssss lessa-

I didn't feel too bad yesterday, but being so cold all day set me back, so I'm at home now, a day off work, checking emails then back to my nice warm bed. I thought of you yesterday - walking by a beautiful castle at the theme park. You'd have loved it *smiles. I just refused to go on any of the rides !!

kusssssssssssss

clare said...

*and makes a note for the cellars....draught ale, whiskey ( at least 12 yr old), Baileys, chains, St Andrews cross......*slaps my head !! WRONG kind of cellar !!

xxxxxxxx

lessa{D} said...

I think I will like that cellar...

*grin*

kisssssssssssssssssss