When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Thursday, June 01, 2006

If at first you don't succeed....

I have spent many, many years (at the grand old age of 35!!) not trying new things.

In work, community, parental and social fields I'm confident, relatively succesful - a strong woman. At parties I never have a problem being on my own, I can introduce myself to someone, mingle and join in discussions with ease. My daughter's headmaster tries to walk the other way when he sees me approaching at school, because I'm one of the few people who will actually tell him about problems and suggest solutions. In those areas of my life .....I have no problems.

So why - personally - am I afraid to try new things?

I know a lot of it stems from parental approval/disapproval. I was not encouraged as a child - if I got 95% in an exam, I was admonished for not getting 100%. So a big part of me thinks that it's not worth doing something if I'm not damn good at it. I'm worried about being judged, and being found lacking. Again this goes back to my need to present myself as being perfect. And as all my friends know, I'm not perfect, not by a long shot. But I still endeavour to give that impression.

I love singing - adore it. When I'm on my own in house I sing to my cds full blast, because it makes me happy. But no-one with half an ear could say that I'm good at it - hence I only sing when I'm on my own. I love salsa dancing, on holiday once I did a full salsa dance on stage with the dance instructor !! I got applauded, I absolutely loved it. My husband's reaction when I got back to him? 'Do you realise how stupid you looked - dancing like that at your size'. So guess who never danced salsa again??

In the car recently with a good friend, I was explaining why, although I loved the song that was playing, I wasn't singing. I found myself 'encouraged' (mutters about Doms and their ways with words!! *grins) to sing along. In the end all three of us were singing along to - of all songs - Sisters are doing it for themselves !! And I loved it. I wasn't hitting the right notes, I wasn't in tune.....but I loved it. (makes a note to myself to send DragonM Sir a copy of the Black Eyed Peas song Shut Up *weg*)

When I got back to work the week after, in a classroom with several colleagues one of my favourite songs came on the radio. And guess what ? I danced a bit of salsa to it, and I sang !! One of my colleages sighed and said "I wish MY wife was that much fun !!" That made me think. I was seen as being fun because I'd tried, not because I'd danced as well as Ricky Martin (he has a far better hip movement than I *grins).

I've spent too long living in a little box, looking at new activities and saying ' that's not the sort of thing I do','I'm no good at things like that', 'I'm too old/big/clumsy to try that'. I label myself. I do to myself what I get angry with other people for doing. And I think I deserve better.

So ...from now on...I'm going to try to do one new thing a week. It may only be small, a new recipe or a different style of top than I usually wear. Or it may be bigger, such as doing a piece of writing, which would be a big challenge for me.

BUT ......I draw the line at bunjee jumping !!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

sitting here with a happy smile after reading this... how wonderful babes.... I can't wait to hear about all the new things you get to try.

*will try to put aside the image of DragonM singing 'Sisters' while I concentrate on finishing some work...couldn't you have found him another song....lol

xxxxx

clare said...

grins at elle...

hey !!! lessa and I were singing 'Shut up, just shut up , SHUT UP !' to Him and getting away with it !!!
And He played drums beautifully on the dash board *nods nods

xxxxxxxxx

clare said...

OMG !!

laughing so hard here ! hugs Him tight.

Thank You for that Dragon M Sir *grins...I'm going to have the vision of You singing that in my head for days now !


I'll be taking very small steps at first....but they'll get bigger. Thank You for Your belief

xxxx

lessa{D} said...

Shut up
Just shut up
Shut up [3x]
Shut it up, just shut up
Shut up
Just shut up
Shut up [3x]
Shut it up, just shut up

We try to take it slow
But we're still losin control
And we try to make it work
But it still isn't the worst
And I'm craaazzzy
For tryin to be your laaadddy
I think I'm goin crazy


mmmmmmmmmmmm, love that song... grin... if DragonM doesn't want it... I do *polishes fluffy halo*

but clare... this is a perfect step... and ehmmmm I loved singing together... we might try that again in France.....

we should start on finding a playlist... lol...

and ehmmmmm, I am practising so Master....

Hittegolf in de stad
Jongens en meisjes dansen door de straten
Lekker uitgelaten

Ik wil jou jij wil mij
Ik weet een plekje waar ze ons niet vinden
Jij mag me verslinden

Doe het heel zachtjes
Geen kreetjes en geen lachjes
Heel zachtjes
Het wordt een leuke zomer
Lieve mooie dromen

clare said...

laughing.....you're all NUTS !!! lmao !! (er...nuts with respect Dragonm M Sir *grins)

lessa - there have to be so many songs out there with 'appropriate' words....we HAVE to find them, lol

xxxxxxxx

clare said...

*looks through my mp3 collection.....Hit Me Baby One More Time??

xxxxxx

lessa{D} said...

Think I can teach you the Ajax clubsong... *grin*... though that might cause DragonM to call 'red, red, red'....

clare said...

lolol....i'm not singing ANY football songs..I'll red red red myself !!!

(remembers a certain football match a few months ago - Lyon !! Lyon !! Lyon !! grins at DragonM Sir and runnnnssss !!)

xxx

Anonymous said...

I found your site via kd's site & I applaud you in your new quest to try new things.
I am gaining such insight from both of your sites & appreciate your writings!
Thank you for making this open to the public.

clare said...

smiles.....hi roz, and thank you for visiting.

I will try to put some of my less embarrassing efforts on the blog.....grins

I still have a list of things that i won't try under any circumstances...

...ice skating (glares at elle), bungee jumping, theme park rides (no way on this earth am I getting on a rollercoaster !!) and hang gliding (if God had meant me to hang glide He'd have made me with a built in sick bag)

but here's to trying new things !!

lessa{D} said...

ohhhhhhh Fian... you've made my morning even better... grinnnnn...

I was thinking about all the yummie stuf you could do with the bungee jumping rope... and ehmmm jumping is also a thrill.. did it once.. and in hindsight would not have missed it for the world (though I still remember vividly how my stomach felt... lol....)

hugsssssssssssssssssssss all her friends and esp sweet clare....

clare said...

lol Fian - if I want rope work on me, I'll ask Master for some before I'll go bungee jumping...

RED RED RED !!!

laughing

xxxxxx