When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Broadening horizons....

As part of my job, I arrange day trips and activities for the students at school – I’ve arranged a very full program for the six week holiday.

Today I spoke to one of the younger children from the school about the activities. He couldn’t believe that they would have access to these trips. The boy in question told me that ‘things like that are always for other people, not us’. One of the simplest trips – a day at a space centre – had him amazed. He’s had a long term interest in space and related topics, but his family have never recognized it as anything more than a ‘phase he’s going through’. They’ve certainly never encouraged him.

In the last few weeks I’ve worked closely with the science department, and I’ve been amazed at how many kids are desperately eager to learn when given the opportunity. Other kids who are labeled troublemakers are dumbfounded at the idea of a day in Wales – a ninety minute trip, but one that their familes won’t make because they don’t venture outside our city.

And no – it’s not a matter of money. One of the more affluent families in our school has a Mercedes I’d die for, but they refused to let their child go on a day-trip to London this year because, ‘What good will it do him? He lives here’.

It saddens me to see so many children brought up it such a way – their minds closed to 99% of the world because they’ll never go there.

My kids are lucky – we’ve encouraged them to do as much as they can. They’re both on school council, because they want to make a difference, even my seven year old, and I’m so proud of that. They’ve been on cruises, they’ve been to Pompeii, Rome, Casablanca – they know there is life outside our city, and so many kids don’t. We’ve worked damned hard to pay for these things, nothing is taken for granted.

Parts of my job I love – other parts, such as seeing kids who think the world stops two streets away I don’t like. A boy was just brought into my office by a teacher – the boy had been rude to me at lunchtime, pushed past me, disobeyed me, verbally abused me…..

….he stood there in his shirt that hadn’t been washed for three weeks, trousers still caked in mud from when he fell last Monday, and big rips in both that hadn’t been sewn. It turned out that he was on the corridor (where he’s not supposed to be) because all the other students make fun of him because of his appearance. So, if he’s in places he shouldn’t be, at least no kids are hitting him because he smells, and he sees teacher interaction, whether positive or negative, as attention.

Instead of putting him on suspension, I’ve now got him doing a duty with me – HE will patrol the corridors and stop kids being in off-limit areas. Hopefully he’ll see that positive attention from a member of staff is better than the negative variety.

When he left my office, he actually smiled and said…. ‘thanks Miss’.

Will give my girls such massive hugs tonight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Clare,

Although I read your blog on a regular basis, I normally don't feel the need to leave a comment because we don't know each other and because I don't believe my comment would really contribute anything to the mostly beautiful things you've already written.

Today however, being a mum myself and with your attempts to try new things still in mind, I do wish to (virtually) say something: I think you are a wonderfully openminded being, and those children - human beings in full emotional development - are blessed to to have someone like you around.
We don't live in the same country (Hi from Belgium *winks*), so obviously my kids go to another school, but I'm still grateful to you (and people like you) for making the world a little bigger and smaller at the same time. *smiles*

Kind regards,
a.

teasemedenyme said...

oh clare... i remember kids like this, both from my time as a volunteer in school, and also from living on a very rough estate for a few years... and i've seen it happen... the transformation from the wild child to a well-behaved one.... just because someone took time to show they matter...

*big hugs*

lessa{D} said...

*hugs her sweet sis to pieces...

clare.. this sure is wonderfull, I am so very proud of you... you are making a difference... and that's a good thing...

hope your girls hug you as much as you wanna hug them... xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

clare said...

thank you all for your lovely comments - I'm really touched.

anonymous, thank you so much for your beautiful words. I will admit to having a few tears when I read your post *smiles. (I'm a big softy really.

My approach at school is one of 'what would I want for MY kids?' and try to provide that for our students. Hopefully - we'll see some more breakthoughs.

You're always welcome at the blog - it's wonderful to meet friends here, old and new. Huggssss

tease - we're a school in the middle of two council estates. so we probably face the same problems that you've seen

lessa - smiles - my girls both stayed on my lap for one hell of a long cuddle last night, hugggssss.

elle - remember how upset I was on my birthday last year because the boy I tried to help got suspended? I'm trying my hardest to avoid that happening again.

And to all of you - thank you for being proud of me. It means the world.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lessa{D} said...

*kusssssssssssssssss for you....

just hugging you to pieces... cus I like to....

xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lessa

lessa{D} said...

grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, big hugggggggggggggggg dear sis....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

clare said...

hugggs the lovely Dutch girl, with get well huggsss for her Master.

xxxxxxxx

clare said...

smiles....thank You Fian

huggss

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Fico and fico Available management positions for alaska airlines Boat house insurance Acne effective home treatment health insurance company 1997 chevrolet suburban z71 fleur27s skin care products provider dsl Incorporate 3d live answering service appliance business insurance Medical malpractice rhode island fixed rate mortgage