When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Friday, September 29, 2006

Coffee Morning....

Today was a big charity event at work - a coffee morning to raise funds for a well known charity. The idea is that people donate cakes to a sale, and other people can make a donation in exchange for a cake. Bear in mind we have 130 staff at our school.

Problem one - no-one donated cakes. So 'someone' had to go shopping last night, buy some cakes, and get up early this morning and make a lot of cakes (I had over 200 cakes to take in....I was very productive !)*grins. I was up so early this morning to start my baking, that by the time I got my usual much loved 'goedemorgen hugggs' text from Sir I'd already been busy for four hours !!!

Problem two - despite the flagrant advertising of the event in the staff newsletters, bulletin boards, word of mouth and judicious placing of advertising balloons about the fund raising event, several people made no donation at all. They took a cake, looked closely at all the advertising, then walked off. One person donated 20p, then proceeded to put eight cakes on a plate and left the room. At least now I know how he manages to save enough money to pay for his BMW.

From 130 staff, 200 cakes 'sold' - we took £19. Thats including eight people I know of that donated £1 for just one cake.

I know that times are hard, but these are people that every day spend a fortune in the staff canteen. The people that has the least money, donated the most.

I also know that it's wrong of me to judge people like this. But its so sad that an event like this was so poorly supported.

Every little helps in charity. Rather a good thing, don't you think?

xxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

lessa{D} said...

oh boy... much of your colleagues are cheep.. wanna bet when someone rings their doorbell they don't give any money either...

but I can fully imagine now why you had a bad day...

*hugssssssssssss her sis*

grin... by the way... think we both love those goedemorgenkus texts...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

clare said...

hugggs my sis-

those texts start the day off the right way don't they? *grins

And yep, not a great day...but at least today is the weekend !!!!!!!!!


xxxxxxxxxxxx