When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Education

My 13 year old daughter has been studying for her GCSE maths exam - 2 years early. She's already doing BTEC in Performing arts (yes, she is a drama queen!!) and GNVQ in Technology, and now the school has decided that the more able kids hsould take an extra exam early.

My friends know how highly I value education, but I'm increasingly concerned that she is being overloaded with work at such an early age. My main concern is that she's basically 'self taught' on the GCSE Maths - three 25 minute lessons for each module of coursework, no extra help available, then about 40 hours of working at home to complete each section. And that's a module a week.

I'm angry that parents weren't consulted in this. It's our children who are spending each night working on the coursework until 10pm, and all weekend. It's us that are seeing how frustrated and worried our kids are getting.

I've also been told that even if she passes the GCSE this year, she is still required by law to study maths until she leaves school.....why????? Once she passes the exam, further curriculum time seems rather superfluous.

I'm in discussion with the school now, to ascertain how much help they can give her in the GCSE Maths....they should at least be providing a good grounding in each module before sending the kids home to self study. Sorting out issues like this is the only time I get anywhere near to being Domme....mutters.

Anyone got a flogger I can borrow for the head mistress????

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

lessa{D} said...

grinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, how much do you need and do you need an extra pair of hands as well????

if that school gives that fantastic girl a hard time, you sure have volunteer soverhere to come and assist you with that flogging... even RB will help then... and the doggies sue can bite and growl...

but seriouss, yes I would be very upset with that school to...

cuddles, kisses and love...

clare said...

hugggs lessa - she has the maths exam in May, plus a GCSE Technology exam, her 4 BTEC exams and all of her SATS ...all in May. She'll be burnt out.

She's been crying tonight because of the pressure she's feeling in the maths...she doesn't need this - not at 13.

kusssssssssssssss