When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Friday, January 05, 2007

Going Dutch....

My daughter had the radio on it the kitchen earlier and I was telling her to turn it down - typical Mum !! All of a sudden a song came on that transported me back to my childhood, to a particularly happy time when I lived with my Nan. I burst into laughter and asked her to turn it up quick - and sat there with a dreamy look on my face, just at the memories flooding back. I always loved that music.

When it was finished, she asked me what it was, to which I replied Eye Level - the theme to Van der Valk, a detective program from many years ago. My beloved daughter commented on the name and I told her it was based in Holland. She grinned and said, 'oh great - something else that makes you go all loopy is Dutch !!' Little madam !! lol.

I have memories from when I was tiny, of reading a story about a cow that got onto a barge in Holland and travelled the canals. I remember very few of the details, but have strong memories of the pictures of the cow getting off at a big cheese market, amidst piles and piles of edam. I know - pretty silly really, but I wish so much that I could find that book - just for sentimental reasons. My nan (who basically brought me up) used to read it to me when I was knee high to a grasshopper, so I have such fond memories.

I can just imagine me reading that book to my girls now - my smart ass daughter would probably say, 'Edam?? Where were the piles of rambol??' *winks at lessa.

kusssssssssssssss

2 comments:

lessa{D} said...

mmmm, I can't remember any book like that... grinnnnnn... but if you want a mountain of rambol cheese.. we might be able to arrange that.... grinnnnnnnnnnn

clare said...

grins - lessa - I can still se the pictures from that book in my mind, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name of the cow!

It just brings back happy memories of the woman who basically brought me up - the same with the Van der Valk theme.

And as for the rambol......

yes please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laughing
xxxxxxxxx