When I'm good I'm very, very good - when I'm bad I'm better! - Mae West

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Valentines Day

It looks like it's going to be an interesting Valentine's Day this year. That's the day that my husband has his long awaited hip replacement operation, so I doubt very much that I'll be celebrating the day in the usual style.

We've opted for him to have the operation at a hospital about an hour away from us, as it has a far better health/cleanliness record than our local orthopedic department. I'd far rather travel the extra time and distance to visit him there than have him be the latest of many to contract MRSA at the nearest hospital.

So I think it will be a strange few months - he'll be off work for about two to three months - I'll probably be ready to kill him after one week !! I'll also be working at the local pub where I started last week, so I have to try to arrange shifts so that I can care for him the best I can. And of course, his mother is MORE than willing to come and look after him while I'm not there !!

It's good to be working at the pub. It's good experience for getting a pub of our own, but it feels strange sometimes. I've downplayed my previous work background to the other girls - it felt awkward to say that I've been a fundraising consultant, an school manager and worked for the Home Office, so I just said I'd worked in a school and done voluntary work. And it's true - kinda. Is that a bit of reverse snobbery?

I'm not working there again now until just before Valentine's Day, as I'm going to be replacing one of the current employees, so until then I'll be having acouple of quiet weeks. I'm looking forward to going back - I laughed so hard when I was told the other day that I'll get good tips from the male customers, because I say 'Sir' so naturally !!! The phrases 'yes, sir', 'will that be all sir?' just seemed to roll off my tongue !! When I worked at the school, I refused to call the male teachers 'Sir' as a point of principle - I can't see any way out of it with my male customers !!

Things feel like they're falling into place - my job at the pub, my husband's operation - fingers crossed that everything else works out just as well.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3 comments:

Tiggs said...

Oh, sweet Clare,

My thoughts are with you and your hubby in these coming weeks (and months). Thankfully, you have a flexible schedule and will be able to be devoted to him whenever he needs you, as I am most sure he will.

Please don't forget to take a little extra time for yourself, too. A little extra kindness and love. Treat yourself to a bath, a massage, a few moments of quiet reading... a long walk in the sunshine. Whatever sets your heart and mind at ease and rejuvenates your soul.

I DO indeed hope the rest of your world falls into place as it should. Just remmeber to be open, always open, to new ideas and thoughts. Nothing is set in stone and love is as constant as the breeze, but it does sometimes change and alter its form as it needs to be the very thing you need the most.

You are so very loved... by many, many people close to you. Open yourself to that love, and those people, and you will never go wrong.

Love you always,
Tiggs

clare said...

tiggr-

I'm feeling sick at the moment at what I've read elsewhere. It will take more than a bath or massage to stop that feeling.

I've been open minded, I've tried my best. It wasn't good enough.

Apparently some things ARE set in stone.

x

lessa{D} said...

hugsssssssssssss, sure will keep my fingers crossed.. that operation will give him back what he so much wants... and your job in the pub will be a success.. just as all other things....

kussssssssssssssssssssssss